Why content curation is over-rated ?

I really don’t know what’s the big deal about paper.li or scoop.it or 10s of other content curation platforms! As a user, what'd you value more? paper.li (curation) or wikipedia (collaboration)?

I think content curation as in what you see in paper.li or scoop.it or even Alltop is grossly over-rated!! Where’s the value add? What I get is a list of links - sometimes relevant but mostly useless. If content curation tools were supposed to solve my information overload problems, I’d say paper.li is certainly not making the cut. Now compare this to Wikipedia (a collaborative effort), where some people actually take the responsibility of going through a number articles/literature and offer me something that’s coherent and easy to digest. That’s a real value add. Just crawling the web for keywords and getting a list of loosely connected articles in the name content curation doesn’t add any value to anyone. 


People who are doing content curation are probably taking an easy route. Of course, if you can write an awesome natural language processing program that can read 100s of articles and produce a story for me, that’d be great but since we don’t have that kind of technology (yet), I’ll anyday prefer an individual blog or a wikipedia article to paper.li. Can somebody do a real-time wikipedia? You know like, take today’s paper.li/alltop and write an executive summary for me. That’d be an instant hit!!

Btw, sharing content on Twitter is different…it’s neither automated nor overwhelming (in most cases). Depending on who you follow you'd usually get very selected pieces of info to consume in easily digestable quantities.

1 comment:

  1. These are genuinely enormous ideas in on the topic of blogging.
    You have touched some nice points here. Any way keep
    up wrinting.

    my blog post - Goji Berry

    ReplyDelete